One of the crucial things to consider when choosing cat litter is the place where you will keep the cat. If you need litter for the indoor cats, then you have to select the litter that controls the odor around the area where you set the litter box, and that has durable freshness without forgetting the ease in emptying the litter box. This article consists of the top ten best cat litters recommended for indoor cats.
What Is the Best Cat Litter For Indoor Cats Use on the Market?
Quick Pick on the Best Cat Litter For Indoor Cats
|Best For Indoor Cats - Dr. Elsey's Premium Clumping Litter||$20.55 ($0.03 / Ounce)||Check Latest Price|
|Best Clumping - Fresh Step Multi-cat Indoor Cats Litter||$33.59 ($0.91 / Pounds)||Check Latest Price|
|Best Lightweight - Purina Tidy Glade Clumping Cat Litter||$51.00 ($0.19 / Ounce)||Check Latest Price|
|Best Dust-free - Cat's Pride Fresh Scent and Fresh Multi-cat Clumping Litter||$10.99 ($0.07 / Ounce)||Check Latest Price|
|Best with Odor Control - Purina Tidy Cats Clumping Cat Litter||$52.58 ($1.38 / Pound)||Check Latest Price|
|Best Hard Clumping - Boxiecat Premium Indoor Cat Litter||$24.99 ($0.14 / Ounce)||Check Latest Price|
|Best Unscented - Fresh Step Clumping Clay Cat Litter For Indoor Cats||$17.39 ($0.07 / Ounce)||Check Latest Price|
|Best Easy Scooping - World's Best Lightweight Dust Control Cat Litter||$32.15 ($0.07 / Ounce)||Check Latest Price|
|Best Moisture Control - Fresh Step Crystals Premium Cat Litter||$42.98 ($0.17 / Ounce)||Check Latest Price|
Things to Consider in Buying Best Cat Litter for Indoor Cats
No scented vs scented
The litters are either scented or not scented for people to choose their preferred model. If you are allergic to strong scents, consider getting a litter with minimal or no scent. Some models have natural scents from plants like pine that would work as well.
The dust level
When it comes to litter texture, it is recommended that you choose the litter with minimal or no dust emission. This helps to keep the house clean and free from dust even after the cat steps on the litter. Note that some quality litters are made with little levels of dust to minimize tracking in the house.
The weight of the litter plays a huge role in determining the comfort of your cat especially the small ones. Cats like moving the litter box to find a good place to set it when using the box. So, make sure to buy lightweight litter so your cat can have an easy time moving the litter box to their locations.
The age of the cat is another crucial thing you need to consider when buying the cat litter. Avoid clumping litter for kittens since the little cats may end up eating the clumps which can hugely harm them. Always opt for the non-clump litter for small cats.
Review of the Best at Litter for Indoor Cats
1. Best For Indoor Cats – Dr. Elsey’s Premium Clumping Litter
Unlike other litter products that have dust particles; this product from Dr. Elseys has almost zero dust particles to ensure the safety of the surrounding especially if you are allergic to dust.
The litter forms clumps on absorbing the urine and cat feces for easy and fast emptying the box since all you need to do is scoop out the litter. This litter features an infusion of grain clay material that increases its absorbent power and enables it to clump as well.
This litter is also reliable in controlling the odor around the area you have set the litter box since it helps eliminate bad odor by drying up the cat urine and feces.
- This litter helps eliminate bad odor
- It enables one to have an easy time in emptying the litter box
- It has almost zero content of dust
- It has a high absorbent power
- The clumps may get stuck on the cat’s paw if it steps on the litter while wet
2. Best Clumping – Fresh Step Multi-cat Indoor Cats Litter
If you are planning to bring in a cat in your house then you need a reliable litter product to keep the house is clean and fresh order. The litter from the Fresh step helps to keep the house in a clean condition by absorbing all the urine and feces when the cat uses the litter box.
It forms clumps that make it super easy to clean the litter box by just scooping the clumps formed. It has high-quality material that makes it suitable for use in homes with more than one cat.
This cat litter has low dust formation, to ensure low tracking for the safety of your cat’s health and provide good breathability in the room.
- This litter is easy to use
- It fits homes with multiple cats
- It reduces tracking
- It controls odor for up to 10 days
- This litter is not biodegradable and may be harmful to the environment when discarded on the landscape
3. Best For Multiple Cats – ARM and Hamer Clump and Seal Platinum Cat Litter
This is the perfect litter product to buy if you have an adult cat in your house. The litter works fast and efficiently in controlling the odor up to 10 percent more than other products.
This litter does not have any dust formation that helps prevent tracking and keeps the breathing environment free from dust in the house. You can leave the litter box unattended for an entire week since the litter helps control the litter odors for up to 7 days; hence, this is a great litter for people with busy schedules in the office.
The litter immediately attracts the urine and cat poop by forming clumps. This also helps prevent moisture from reaching the bottom area of the litter box.
- The litter keeps the box smelling fresh for up to 7 days
- It is easy to use
- The granules are large-sized to prevent them from attaching on the cat’s fur
- This litter has no dust
- This litter is scented but the scent does not spread in far areas
4. Best Lightweight – Purina Tidy Glade Clumping Cat Litter
One pack weighs around 17 pounds for comfortable holding when scoping it. This litter does not have dust to reduce tracking in your house. This also ensures the house is clean and free of dust especially if you are allergic to dust.
The litter consists of ammonia infusion that works magic in eliminating the bad odor from the cat’s urine and feces. Hence, you can leave the litter unattended for an entire day without worrying about your house getting bad odor.
The litter also features a scent that helps to keep the house smelling good for a long time. Note that this litter also forms clumps on absorbing the urine and feces for easy collecting when emptying the box.
- This litter has zero dust formation
- It is light in weight
- Cleaning the litter box is easy since the litter forms clumps
- It helps to keep the room smelling fresh for a long time
- The litter is highly scented and the scent can be uncomfortable to some people.
5. Best Dust-free – Cat’s Pride Fresh Scent and Fresh Multi-cat Clumping Litter
This pack is suitable for people with more than one cat since it can last you for a long time. You just need a small scoop of the litter as it is powerful in controlling cleanliness around the area where you have set the litter box.
It is a clumping litter whereby it immediately absorbs the urine and feces from the cat to form small disposable clumps. This litter has no dust to helps to prevent tracking and ensure there is good airflow in the room.
This litter is super light in weight for comfort when pouring to the litter box. It also comes with a warranty for quality assurance.
- This litter is quite affordable
- It is suitable for people with more than one cat
- The litter does not emit any dust particles in the room
- It forms clumps for easy emptying the litter
- Flushing this litter in the toilet is not a good idea since it takes a lot of time to flush down and may even cause blockage
6. Best with Odor Control – Purina Tidy Cats Clumping Cat Litter
This powerful cat litter is made with ammonia that helps to control the bad odor coming from the cat’s litter box. This litter works excellently in eliminating bad dour for up to 2 weeks when the litter box is left unattended.
The litter has clumping power where it forms small clumps on absorbing urine and feces from the cat. This also makes it easy to empty the litter box since all you require is to scoop the clumps for disposal.
This litter is infused with a sweet smell that ensures the house smells nice even if the litter box is used by different cats. It is durable since you don’t need to use much litter per day.
- The litter is durable
- It has no dust to prevent trucking
- It helps prevent bad odor from the litter box
- It works for an entire day to keep the area clean and smelling fresh
- The scent is quite strong and may not work for people allergic to strong scents
7. Best Hard Clumping – Boxiecat Premium Indoor Cat Litter
One of the outstanding features on this litter is the powerful odor control that enables it to keep the area around the litter box smelling fresh for more a day.
This litter has no dust to prevent tracking. This litter forms hard clumps on absorbing the cat’s urine and feces to prevent it from soiling the litter box. It is super light in weight for comfortable scooping when putting it to the litter box.
Emptying the litter box is easy and all you need to do is scoop the formed clumps in the box.
- This litter is light in weight
- It does not have dust to prevent tracking
- It makes emptying the litter box to be smooth
- The litter has no scent but still keeps the litter box area smelling nice
- The litter does not control the odor for long especially if you have adult cats
8. Best Unscented – Fresh Step Clumping Clay Cat Litter For Indoor Cats
The Fresh step ensures to keep the litter box clean and smelling fresh for an entire day. The litter is made with activated charcoal essential for trapping the bad odor to ensure the area smells good.
It highly and quickly absorbs the urine and feces on the litter box to prevent it from reaching the bottom area of the litter box. Emptying the animal messes from the litter box is super-fast since this litter absorbs the urine and the feces to form small hard clumps that are easy to scoop.
This litter has a low content of dust to prevent tracking and keep the room with good airflow.
- The litter is light in weight
- It forms clumps for disposal
- It emits low dust that in return helps reduce tracking
- It is not scented to ensure no strong scents are coming from the litter box
- This litter is not recommended for people with respiratory issues or who are allergic to dust because it emits some dust
9. Best Easy Scooping – World’s Best Lightweight Dust Control Cat Litter
This litter has high clumping power that helps control the urine and other messes from the cat reaching the button section of the litter box. This feature also makes it a great option for homes that has more than one cat.
The clumps formed are flushable to ensure the safety of the environment. The litter is light in weight and has zero dust for fast and effective pouring on the litter box.
This also prevents the tracking of the litter in the house. It is infused with a fresh scent that helps to keep your home space smelling clean all through.
- The litter has no dust to avoid tracking
- It is light in weight for easy pouring on the litter box
- It can be flushed on the toilet
- It is quite easy to scoop from the pack as well
- This litter is super expensive than other models
10. Best Moisture Control – Fresh Step Crystals Premium Cat Litter
One package of this litter comes with two packs to last you for a while. It is made with crystal granules that help attract the cat to the litter box and also improve the absorbent power.
The litter has up to 30 days control making it the perfect option for people with multiple cats. This litter pack has low levels of dust emission to ensure the house surfaces are clean and the air is fresh throughout.
The crystals are scented to provide a beautiful smell around the litter box.
- This litter makes the surface to smell fresh
- It helps to control the odor produced by the cat’s urine and feces
- It is super light in weight
- It has low dust emission to keep the air around fresh
- The litter does not clump and maybe a bit messy when emptying the litter box
How Do I Keep My Cat from Tracking Litter?
If the litter has dust emission, then you may experience some tracking in the house. So, to prevent this, place a mat or a small carpet in front of the litter box. Ones the cat steps on the carpet after using the litter box, the excess dust residuals will be left on the mat to prevent it from being scattered in the house.
How Often Should You Change Cat Litter?
Changing of the cat litter is highly determined by how often the cat or cats uses the litter box. If the cat has a regular schedule of using the litter, you may need to change the litter twice a week but in some cases, especially if the cat uses the litter more constantly, then you may need to change the litter every day.
Can Cats Share the Same Litter Box?
The answer to this is no. Two or more cats cannot use the same litter box since it will be a bit stressful during elimination time. The cats may end up fighting to access the litterbox in the case where they want to use it at the same time. So, make sure to have the same number of litter boxes to fit the number of cats you have.
If you are planning to buy a cat indoor, these are the best litters to buy for your cat use. The litters work magic in keeping the house smelling fresh by absorbing the entire bad odor coming from the litter box. The litters also feature clumping power for easy emptying of the litter box.
|Best For Indoor Cats||Dr. Elsey’s Premium Clumping Litter|
|Best Clumping||Fresh Step Multi-cat Indoor Cats Litter|
|Best For Multiple Cats||ARM and Hamer Clump and Seal Platinum Cat Litter|
|Best with Odor Control||Purina Tidy Cats Clumping Cat Litter|
|Best Unscented||Fresh Step Clumping Clay Cat Litter For Indoor Cats|